Thursday, August 15, 2013

Do what you love.. and do the hell out of it

*ba dum bum* title sounds funny, but BRO, I'm serious.

"Remember," he said, "read for pleasure. If you pick up a book and don't like it, put it down. Never read what you think you should read. Never feel inadequate if you don't like what you're 'supposed' to read. Reading is personal. Your opinion is the only opinion that matters"


The smallest moments make the biggest differences


Perhaps this seems like a no-brainer to most of us, but the above article really stuck out to me today. I mean, how many of us go on the rat race everyday? Every single time, without fail, that I'm in a subway car or walking the streets of Manhattan or sitting at my cube staring at pictures of epic places I've been to, I always wonder why I'm not out doing those things. Is it social obligation, financial obligation (after all, I did go to B-school and racked up a ton of student loan debt), and/or familial obligation that keeps us in the rat race? Or perhaps it's an actual need that we have that dictates working is a part of life?


a quick moment with little kids and a big impact

I'm not saying every jamoke should quit his job and run off to New Zealand to grow a beard, adopt the barter system and become a jade-carver, but I am saying that we all have a choice, both inside and outside of work, to do what we love. Take a step back with me really quickly and think about all of the people in your lives who you would call 'successful'. What do they all have in common? They all love what they do and they do the hell out of it. In my life, I have friends who I've watched reinvent the HR wheelhouse, recreate operations, start new small businesses when everyone told them they wouldn't succeed, mothers, fathers, teachers, Christ followers, well diggers, and body builders. All which measure up to the 'successful' yardstick in my book.

I defer to these folks to see what it means to have a passion and actually follow it. It seems all too simplistic (and overwhelmingly true) to realize that they all see things differently and choose to make decisions that affect every aspect of their lives. Trusting that whatever factors may influence their day-to-day lives are the driving force that will bend their results, for better or for worst. These are the people who I call 'all in' and it's about time we all go all in with them. After all, who wants to wake up one day and say, damn, I wish I did?

No comments:

Post a Comment